DOKTOR PENDIDIKAN / DOCTOR OF EDUCATION KPM/JPT (R2/142/8/0020)7/2022
The Doctor of Education (Ed. D) is a professional qualification. It has three distinct orientations – research, teaching and professional work. This professional doctoral programme is closely related to the development of practice within the profession. Apart from obtaining vast
knowledge in educational areas, this programme provides graduate students in-depth knowledge in specific areas through quality courses, exposure to educational issues and intellectual discourses such as symposiums, seminars, conferences, internship and researches. The Ed. D typically seeks to constantly bring evidence-based research tools to bear on practical issues within teaching and learning and within the management of the educational system.
At the end of the programme, graduates are able to demonstrate an exceptional mastery of knowledge and professional skills through continuous research and effective management and administrative skills. Graduates will also display the confidence needed to face the toughest leadership challenges and excel in the strategic repositioning of resources and human capital.
About the Programme
This professional doctoral is offered by modules. Each module has three credit hours. To qualify for the doctoral award, a student is required to pass with at least a B grade (3.00) in each of the modules offered and with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) 3.00. The total credit hours to qualify for the Ed. D are 91.
The Faculty of Education and Social Sciences, Universiti Selangor offers a doctoral programme, the Doctor of Education (Ed.D). The degree is an avenue designed for graduates to proceed to a higher qualification to fulfil their ambition as administrators, or managers.
The Doctor of Education (Ed.D) is a professional qualification. Apart from obtaining vast knowledge in common areas, this programme provides graduate students in-depth knowledge in specific areas through quality courses, exposure to educational issues and intellectual discourses such as symposiums, seminars, conferences and internship.
The objectives of the programme are to:
- be knowledgeable in different areas of study so that they can keep abreast with current issues in the fields
- be orientated with vast experience in performing tasks such as applying appropriate presentation and referencing skills
- be equipped with communication and management skills so as to be competitive at national and international levels
- possess professional attributes, ethics and quality leadership
- are immersed in the diversity of races, cultures and beliefs as well as support life-long learning
At the end of this programme students should be able to:
- demonstrate an exceptional mastery of knowledge and professional skills through continuous research and effective management and administration skills
- display the confidence needed to face the toughest leadership challenges.
- demonstrate innovative and productive management skills in handling responsibilities, problems and tasks
- excel in the strategic repositioning of resources and human capital
- perform tasks as an individual, a team member and a member of educational institutions in the plural society effectively
- apply professional and ethical values in daily undertaking of tasks and responsibilities
- practice life-long learning in order to face global challenges through research and best practices
Minimum Entry Requirement
A Master’s degree in education or in any field from any university recognized by the Malaysian government.
Applicant must demonstrate a high degree of interests and skills in research.
English Language Requirement
International students are required to achieve a minimum score of IELTS 5.0 OR its equivalent.
Local – RM260 x 91 = RM23, 660
International – RM450 x 91 = RM40, 950
Duration of Studies
Full Time: 3 years
Part Time: 4 years
Classes are during the week-end and school holidays as most students are expected from the working population.
Graduates become executives, entrepreneurs, consultants in educational fields and also industries. Candidates will be able to obtain employment in capacity as a Research and Development, Quality Control, Clinical Research, and Government Educational Evaluation and
Measurement Blueprint. Graduates also become teachers, educators, administrators, experts preschoolers, coaches, resource development coordinators, education coordinators, teachers head coaches, school program coordinators, and tutors.
Graduates with the degree Doctor of Education (Ed.D) can find employment in government and private sectors. Many graduates work as administrators or executives or entrepreneurs in educational fields and also industries. Some candidates become consultants, researchers and planners in higher education. The candidates will be able to obtain employment in the following capacity:
• Research & Development
• Quality Control
• Clinical Research
• Government Educational Evaluation and Measurement Blueprint
Name: Dr. ABU BAKAR MOHD SHEIKH
Senior Lecturer & Program Coordinator
Doctor of Education degree,
Faculty of Education and Social Sciences,
University of Selangor, Malaysia
Contact No: (M) 017-2023798